I’ve been to Thailand many times and have a lot of Thai friends. From my experience, many local Thai people have been incredibly kind and respectful. I don’t know whether that comes from Buddhist principles, culture, personal character, or a mix of many things, but it left a strong impression on me.
Even small interactions, like Grab drivers or strangers saying “Sawasdee krab” with their hands together and a slight bow, felt respectful to me. Since bowing is also a sign of respect in Korea, I connected with that gesture.
That is part of why I thought Thailand could be a meaningful place to do this project. I love cooking, and I wanted to help the community in a direct and personal way. However, I don’t speak Thai and don’t have a car, so I needed help from someone local. I also wanted to make sure it would be safe for both of us, since we would be strangers from the internet.
Looking back, I realize I didn’t explain everything as clearly as I should have. I also didn’t think deeply enough about how the sentences on the cards might be received in a different cultural context. The only thing in mind was that handwriting a small message feels sweet and personal. I hoped it might encourage kindness, respect, and empathy. That was honestly the whole point.
I’ve seen people work incredibly hard to escape poverty. My father is one of them. Those were the people I hoped the message might reach, because I believe people who have struggled may be more likely to understand and help others.
I understand now that the wording on the cards should be carefully thought through. I can accept fair criticism, advice, and different perspectives. But I don’t think I deserved the amount of hate and negativity I received.
I didn’t ask for money. I didn’t ask for recognition. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone, control anyone, or act superior. I was just trying to make a small positive impact.
As for my Reddit handle, it was randomly generated. It wasn’t something I chose to send any kind of message.
Maybe I explained myself poorly, and maybe parts of the idea needed more thought. I’m open to learning and adjusting. But being treated this way when I was genuinely trying to do something kind has been deeply painful and discouraging.
The negativity honestly made me cry. I don’t say that for sympathy. I say it because people should remember there is a real person on the other side of the screen.
At this point, I honestly wouldn’t even be surprised if someone commented, “No one asked you to do this.” But that kind of response is exactly what makes this so discouraging. I wasn’t trying to force help on anyone or make myself look good. I was just trying to do something kind, and I wish people could disagree or give advice without turning it into hate.
For anyone wondering, I found someone who has offered to help. I will be cooking Thai food, and I will put a lot of thought into the handwritten cards so they are respectful and don’t offend anyone. I still haven’t decided what to give the kids, but I’m thinking carefully about that too.
I’m very thankful for the few people who responded with kindness, positive comments, and constructive feedback. I just wish there were more people in the world like you.
I’m going to leave the post up as a reminder of why I’m doing this project: for a world where someone who is genuinely trying to do something positive doesn’t end up crying over it.
I won’t be replying to comments anymore, but I will take constructive feedback into account.
[link] [comments]
The Bangkok Community https://ift.tt/i27zDRN
Bangkok Hotel Deals
Comments
Post a Comment