Skip to main content

Whats the scam here?

So I’ve been in Bangkok for about 10 days now and like usual I was taking a walk along Khao San road at about 10 pm. My mother was with me.

On two separate occasions, two different couples approached us randomly on the street.

The first one asked us if I could help him find a Halal restaurant. After which I did point him to one. He asked me where I was from, I said India and he said he’s from the UAE and he asked a few things about India. At this point a woman walks in, shakes our hand and says ‘oh I love India’. She had a Russian/Eastern European accent. I cut the convo and walk away.

20 mins later a man approaches us asking if we can help him find a money exchange. I tell him, he says ok and continues to talk. Asks me where I’m from and if I live in Bangkok. Then goes on to ask really stupid questions like “what’s the currency here?” “1 usd is how much baht?” “What colour are the notes here?” And then proceeds to open his wallet and show me a huge wad of USD and AUD banknotes. I stopped answering his questions and he realised I was disinterested and quickly ran into a 7-11 which was super sus. He had a woman with him who also had a Russian accent. He said he was from the UAE too.

Now, my phone wallet and everything is intact and neither of them asked me any money or anything. But I’m pretty sure it was a buildup to some sort of scam…curious to know what the scam is here?

submitted by /u/PranavBalakris7
[link] [comments]

The Bangkok Community https://ift.tt/AsvYUHN

Bangkok Hotel Deals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog